Saturday, April 28, 2012

Too legit to quit.

Majestic.

It's been 6 years since The Pick of Destiny rocked our socks off, 11 since JB & KG's self titled debut made us cream our jeans, and now, nearly 20 years since the band began, Tenacious D proves they've still got plenty of rocket sauce in Rize of the Fenix. The album doesn't technically come out until May 15th, but as of right now the entire thing is free to listen to at RizeofTheFenix.com, so I'm going to give my thoughts on it.

First of all, I feel that I must divulge that I am, in fact, a fan of both Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny, and the corresponding album. However; I'm well aware that neither are critically acclaimed masterworks, and that the album doesn't stand very well sans movie. Jack and Kyle are also aware of this, and instead of simply sweeping it under the rug; they make it the theme of the first (titular) track. and another song called 'They Fucked our Asses'. Kyle's relative obscurity in these last few years, along with Jack's film success, is also made light of in the fantastic 'Ballad of Hollywood Jack & Rage Kage'. These are, in my opinion, two of the best songs in the album, which says something because there isn't a single track that falls flat. There's a few comedy segments (ala 'Drive Through', and 'Inward Singing'), and while I wouldn't say they're as memorable as those two examples, I got a laugh from them, and if you're a fan of The D's style of humor, than you probably will too. Aside from that, it's just sex, drugs, & rock 'n' roll. and I wouldn't have it any other way.

My only real complaint of sorts is that both Tenacious D and The Pick of Destiny have really climactic album enders in 'City Hall' and 'Beezleboss'. Comparatively, Rize of the Fenix ends with '39'; a song about sex with someone coming on 40. It's a great song, don't get me wrong, but with the way it sorta fades out it seems like one of the earlier tracks like 'Rock is Dead' would have made a better last track.

In the end; Tenacious D can still bring the thunder, so open up your ear pussies, and let the fenix rize.

No comments:

Post a Comment